Friday, January 11, 2013

Inspiration And White Rabbit Touchdowns

Photo's taken 1/11/13: 130
Photo's kept 1/11/13:    58

    Today we spent all day at the Kigali Genocide Memorial. Really, no words can possibly express the experience I had. My eyes were opened even further to the Rwandan Genocide.
    The memorial had an amazing garden. It had several levels to it and most of it was planted specifically as monuments to the victims of the genocide.
    We talked with Kiki, a woman who started an organization called Professional Dreamers. Right now she is working towards the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide, and she has big plans. Really big plans. She has been working on a book titled "The Book of Life". It is full of letters written by survivors, bystanders, and the accused. Kiki has really found a way to get Rwandan's to open up about the genocide. She has figured out how to celebrate the 20th anniversary through celebration of those living, and those passed rather than mourning. It is so easy for humans to mourn and dwell on sadness. Kiki has found a way to safely celebrate the lives of millions that were gravely effected by the genocide. She is a true inspiration.
    Tomorrow we head to the Akagera National Park. For me, this is way harder than waiting for Christmas morning.

    Stars, I love them. I stare at them as much as possible wherever and whenever I can. I noticed something peculiar about Orions Belt. It moved from the eastern sky to the western sky in one night. Last night it was pretty much in the opposite end of sky as it was the night before. I've never seen that.

    What do you get when 8 theater students get together to play some flag football? A lot of confusion, a tied game, and a white rabbit. I threw a great touchdown pass though that's for sure.

Time for photos.




The group with Kiki sitting in the middle. K.I.E students also joined us.
   

Still haven't found any of my suitcases. I'm on a great schedule of switching between 2 pairs of boxers, my Phish shirt and my Woolrich flannel. It averages about 80 degrees here, so wearing the flannel is a blast. Tomorrow will be day 6 of wearing the same pair of khakis.


No comments:

Post a Comment