Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ketchup, Cats Up

Time for a bit of catching up.

    A few days ago we went to the Nyamata Genocide Memorial. There are no words to express what I saw there, only that it was one of the most heartbreaking experiences I have had.
    That night we met with a lady named Carol. Sadly, I did not get her last name. She runs an arts center here in Kigali titled Ishyo Arts Center. For the past few months she has been fighting with the government who is trying to kick her out of her building, therefore ending the arts center. She does lots of theater here and works with Kiki, who we met earlier in the week. At the moment I believe she has pushed back her "eviction" until March. She is an amazing woman who is fighting to keep theater alive here. We spoke for a few hours about her work, and she asked about our work. Surprisingly enough, she also does work in Haiti. So I am hoping that she can give me a few people I can get in contact with next time I am down there. That would really be helpful to me since I would love to help with a theater group in Haiti.
    There have been several more things we have done in the past two days but I don't have the energy to write about them. Soon.

    So to make up for my lack of writing, here are a few photos from the youth dance company we visited today. I took about 550 photos of these kids dancing. Only 128 made the cut though.

At ease.










No comments:

Post a Comment